Start the New Year off right with this low-calorie and healthy salad with chicken, goat cheese and pecans. With arugula as the base, this dish offers a high dose of Vitamin K for a healthy heart and strong bones. The goat cheese and pecans toppings are rich in minerals and vitamins, making this salad a great option for a balanced and tasty meal.
- 1 cup of pecans
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cooked rotisserie chicken, warm or at room temperature
- 9 cups loosely packed watercress, cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces
- 6 cups fresh baby arugula
- 3 cups torn fresh dandelion greens
- ½ red onion, sliced lengthwise into very thin strips
- 1 cup brined olives, such as niçoise or Kalamata
- 1/3 cup brined capers, drained
- 8 ounces fresh goat cheese (may substitute feta cheese)
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- In a small bowl, combine the pecans with the 2 tablespoons olive oil and a good pinch of salt. Spread the pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast for 10 to 14 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool slightly.
- While the nuts are cooling, prepare the dressing: Pour the remaining ½ cup olive oil into a medium bowl. Whisk in the sherry vinegar, then the mustard. Whisk in the thyme, oregano, ½ teaspoon salt, and several grinds of pepper. Taste, and adjust the seasoning as desired.
- Remove the legs and breasts from the chicken. Remove the skin, and chop the meat into coarse cubes. Set aside.
- Combine the watercress, arugula, and dandelion greens in a large bowl. Toss in the red onion, olives, and capers, and then dress with ½ cup of dressing. Toss the salad, adding more dressing as desired. Toss in the cubed chicken.
- Divide the salad among 8 plates. Crumble the goat cheese in large chunks over the salads, and then sprinkle with the pecans. Serve immediately.
As originally published in Dr. Perricone’s Forever Young Metabolic Diet book