Avocados have had their spot in the superfood limelight for a while now, and for good reason. When we say that these antioxidant powerhouses are more than just the key ingredient in your favorite dip—we’re looking at you, guacamole—we mean it.
This amazing little fruit contains nearly 20 different minerals and nutrients, including fiber, vitamin E, potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin K. As one of the most nutrient-dense foods out there, avocados pack a slew of body, brain, and skin benefits.
Now if that’s not the definition of a true superfood, we don’t know what is. Still need some convincing? Read on for just a few of our top reasons to make avocado a part of your daily routine.
- Putting the “good” in good fats. As you likely already know by now, not all fat is bad fat and low fat isn’t always better. Sure, just the word itself may carry a negative connotation, but trust us when we say that avocados contain the kind of fat your body needs—monounsaturated fat. This can help lower bad cholesterol, reduce your risk for heart disease, and even help promote the loss of belly fat.
- Forget the weight of it all. Speaking of losing belly fat, did you know that avocados can offer some assistance in your weight loss journey? Yep, all that fiber not only helps keep your digestive system running as it should, but it also helps keep you feeling full (meaning you may have a better chance of resisting that urge to grab a bag of chips in the middle of the day).
- Feel good about the skin you’re in. Those monounsaturated fats we touched on earlier offer serious skin benefits. Packed with antioxidant carotenoids, vitamin C, omega-9 and omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamin E, avocados can help improve the appearance of your skin and combat the visible signs of aging. That means a possible improvement in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, more toned-looking skin, and reduced irritation and visible redness.
- Hello, hydration. We’re not just talking about the importance of hydration for your skin here, but also for your body, hair, and more. Okay, sure, an avocado might not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of hydrating foods, but here’s the deal—all those healthy fats, fiber, and potassium can play a part in keeping your body well-hydrated from the inside out. And when your hair needs a little TLC, the moisturizing properties of avocado make for a perfect DIY hair mask you can make at home with just a few simple ingredients.
- Eat your way to happy. Need a little help in the mood-boosting department? Look no further than avocados. All those healthy fats play a role here, while its high levels of the amino acid tryptophan serve as a precursor to serotonin (the feel-good chemical) found within our bodies.
While all these benefits are truly just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what makes avocados such a healthy addition to your daily routine, the best news is this: incorporating avocados into your diet couldn’t possibly be easier. Whether you choose to use it as a salad topper, a mid-day snack, or something entirely different, there’s no question that this versatile super fruit deserves its prime position in the superfood spotlight.