Looking to make a meal that is quick, healthy, and delicious? Look no further than this colorful stir-fry made with purple asparagus and chicken. Purple asparagus is rich in anti-inflammatory antioxidants and is a good source of vitamin B. Skinless, boneless chicken breast is a lean protein and great option to support a low-fat diet. Cooked together in one wok, you’ll have a healthy meal on the table in no time.
- 15 to 20 purple or green asparagus spears, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (extra-virgin is not recommended for stir-fry)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions, white part only
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 25 to 30 fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Cut the asparagus on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok over high heat until smoking. Add the ginger, garlic, and scallions, and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium-high, add the chicken and stir-fry until opaque, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a wire skimmer, transfer the chicken to a bowl.
- Add the asparagus to the wok and stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add the vinegar and soy sauce, and stir to scrape up the browned bits. Return the chicken to the wok, add the basil, and stir-fry until the basil has wilted, 15 to 20 seconds.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the stir-fry to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve.
As originally published in Dr. Perricone’s Forever Young Metabolic Diet book