They say age is just a number. When it comes to how stress affects your skin, this is especially true.
Of all the destructive, pro-inflammatory and aging forces Dr. Perricone has observed as a physician, the one he feels most passionately is stress—no matter how old or how young you may be.
The hormonal changes that result from stress can have a surprising impact on your skin.
Stress causes the release of the hormone cortisol; because our brain cells can be sensitive to the effects of this hormone, it can be concerning to have large amounts moving through our bloodstreams for extended periods of time. When circulating at such a high level, cortisol can wreak havoc on your body, potentially impacting your brain cells, immune system, other vital organs and muscle mass.
But that’s not all.
Excess cortisol can also cause thinning of the skin, resulting in accelerated visible signs of aging—this includes wrinkling and making blood vessels under skin more prominent.
Take action to help Pre:Empt the visible signs of aging by taking steps to manage and reduce stress.
So what can you do? Take action to help Pre:Empt the visible signs of aging by taking steps to manage and reduce stress with the tips below.
- Exercise regularly: Not only is exercise a powerful stress reducer through the release of endorphins, but the skin of those who exercise regularly often is thicker and has more collagen—the fibers that give skin its strength and flexibility.
- Get enough sleep: Studies have shown that cortisol levels are higher during periods of sleep deprivation. While a good night’s sleep leaves you waking up looking refreshed, it’s also during this time that growth hormone and melatonin are released, which can have a positive effect on both the immune system and skin.
- Take supplements: Include stress-fighting supplements like Omega-3 and Vitamin C as part of your regular diet, as both of these can affect the level of cortisol in your bloodstream.
- Get social: Face-to-face social interaction with another person is an effective way to reduce stress quickly. Find time with friends, have lunch with a coworker, take a group workout class—these are all great ways to release stress-fighting hormones.
- Make time for yourself: Whether your idea of fun and relaxation is doing yoga, listening to music, or any of the endless options in between, finding time to take care of your own needs is crucial to managing stress.
Don’t let stress get the best of your skin. Combine these tips with the Pre:Empt Series of products—formulated with Dr. Perricone’s unprecedented Nrf2 Antioxidant Support Complex™—to help better preserve skin’s youthful-looking radiance.